Thursday, May 10, 2012

It's Just Like Riding A Bike.........

I am so going to pay for this tomorrow!  
I rode my bike around the lake today.  It's the first time I've been on a bike in 25 years!!!!!  Seriously. 
Isn't it cute?  Of course it's blue.  Is there any other color it could be?
This is my new, two year old bike.  I bought it two years ago, at the end of the season, but I was very, very afraid to ride it.  Some of you know, some of you don't, but I had gastric bypass surgery three and a half years ago.  I had lost most of my weight by the time I bought the bike, but I wasn't fit yet.  I didn't have much balance.  I really was scared to get on it, so I didn't. 

I took yoga that winter, and started doing more physically, and I got my balance back.  I could feel it.  But last summer the bike hung in the garage.  I asked a couple of times in the spring for Catman or Catboy to get it down for me, but it didn't happen.  We were all busy with whatever, and I quit asking,  because frankly,  I was still scared.  And then I started this blog in January,  and I upped my walking significantly, and have felt better than ever, but still, today I was just a little afraid to get on and ride off.

I'm not afraid of much, but there are things that scare the hell out of me, like looking silly!  Bike helmets look really silly.  I didn't want to look silly. I'm a wee bit vain.  I admit it.  It's who I am.   But, I bought a helmet, and I wore it.  What scares me more than looking silly is a head injury.  Catman had a slip and fall a little over a year ago and suffered a head injury.  It was pretty serious, but fortunately he recovered.  Some people don't. 

So even though I might look silly, and it definitely messes up my already crazy hair, I wore my helmet.  It's pink, and it has butterflies on it, and I don't care how silly I look.  Well, maybe I do care a little, but I'll get over it.

So, I got a little bit past the half way point and I was feeling it.  I stopped, took a couple of pictures and sat on the bench for a few minutes.  Then I rode on for awhile but had to stop and sit again.  I thought I was getting in pretty good shape with all my walking and yoga, but damn, this bike ride was not as easy as I thought it was going to be.  Just down to the lake, once around including the lagoon, and home.  Piece of cake, right?  Wrong.   But I finished without any more stops, other than for traffic lights, and made it home safe and sound.
I didn't get to ring my kick-ass bell, but I guess that's a good thing.  No close encounters with other bikers, and no wipe-outs.

The only thing I need yet is a nice basket.  Pink to match the helmet, or blue to go with the bike?  Yes, I'm a geek.  My kittens tell me that often.


2 comments:

  1. Good for you woman! If you ever want a "bike buddy" just let me know and I'll ride down there and go with you. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Just need to build up my endurance a bit, and them we'll hit it!

      Delete