Saturday, December 8, 2012

Good Karma

Around 10:00 this morning I decided I should take a walk, so I started getting ready.  Decided to start a load of laundry.   After that,  I sat down at the computer to check my e-mail.  Looked at the clock and it was 11:00, so thought I should get moving.  But first I switched the laundry around.  Then did a few other things around the house.  Pretty soon it was 11:45.   Finally got my jacket and camera and kicked myself out of the house.   When I got to the lake I paused,  trying to decide which direction to go.  I usually go left, so I get the bridge out of the way first.  I thought of going right for a change, but then went the usual way, in case I wanted to go up for a coffee when I got over to the Little Beach. That way I'd have a bigger part of my walk done by the time I got to the coffee shop.  Good decision!

Some pretty patterns in the ice.
While walking across the bridge, I noticed something or someone in the water near Big Beach.  I thought maybe a kayaker, or a crazy fisherman?   I got over there and saw this fellow with his metal detector.
There are still about eight ducks hanging out near the creek outlet.  They'll probably be there until the lake completely freezes.  They're obviously in no hurry to leave.   There were also about 30 crows gathering in a tree across the street.  Loud, noisy, fascinating creatures.   Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of them, but they were fun to watch.  Definitely a "murder" of crows.   As I was coming up to the Little Beach, I decided not to go up for coffee, but to keep walking.  I could make a latte when I got home.   Another good move on my part!   Just past Little Beach was a huge gaggle of geese.  I counted about 80.
  
 I saw some kids trying to sled on the little bit of snow we have.   More leaves on the hill than snow.

Santa's helper?

I was a little bit past the point and stopped to take a couple pictures of the skyline, and the bridge.  A man coming towards me asked me to look up and behind me.  I turned and there he was............... I've been looking for him all year!

If I would have left at 10:00 instead of 11:45, I would have been too early.  If I had gone right instead of left, I probably would have still been too early.  If I would have gone for coffee, I would have been too late.   If I had taken a few more pictures of the dog statue in the Christmas hat, I wouldn't have been in the right place when I met the man who told me to look up.   Timing is everything!  Good Karma.   But it gets better.  

While I was snapping away, I was talking with a couple who had also stopped to watch this magnificant bird.  The woman said, "I wonder where it's mate is?"  Just then a second eagle swooped in and landed on the other side of the tree.  This one started chattering at it.   I tried to move around to get a picture of the second one, but it only stayed for about 30 seconds, and then took off.  I only got this shot as it flew off.


This is my favorite - he's looking right at me.  He flew off shortly after.

I felt like the Cheshire Cat after that. I'm pretty sure I was grinning ear to ear.   I've been looking all year for the eagles.  I've seen them on occasion, but they've always been flying and have been too far away to take pictures off.   And now, just a couple of weeks before my "project" is over, I got my chance.   Hours later, and I'm still grinning like a fool.   I may have done a little happy dance too, but only my cats witnessed it.  

Just before my turn off, I saw this lovely little nest in a tiny little tree along the shoreline.  It's only about 6 or 7 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment